This is the former archive of the Herky mailing list. Many of the links
on this page may be out of date. The page is maintained primarily for whatever historic interest might be here...
"Herky" is the mailing list for discussion of University of Iowa sports of all kinds, as well as other issues related to UI sports. In addition to Hawkeye football, basketball, wrestling, and so on, topics include media coverage of the teams, occasional
comments about other Big 10 teams, the Hawkeye Marching Band, and once in awhile, a comment about the "Coach" TV comedy (The TV coach, "Hayden Fox", was named for our (retired) coach, Hayden Fry. Really!)
Postings can also include tips on how to find arenas and stadiums where the Hawkeyes play away from home.
The name, "Herky", comes from Herky the Hawk, the Iowa mascot.
The Herky mailing list is sponsored by Herky.net.
For a little more background on the list, look at the
The Usual Disclaimer
While the members of the Herky mailing list are great people, ladies and gentlemen, once in a great, great, while you might see a naughty word pop up in a posting. Don't say we didn't warn you!
Views expressed in Herky postings are those of the signed authors, but
quite often reflect the views of the archive maintainer, Alan Kline. They do not represent the views of the employer of any Herky member, Robert Ray or the House Judiciary Committee, the
Internal Revenue Service, any Palm Beach County ballot counter, or the population of
Inner Mongolia. Offsite links are subject to change without notice at any time. If you find a broken link on this page, an
email would be greatly appreciated. . .
- Herky History! The beginnings of Herky, and more from a recent Hawkeye football program.
- The Herky Pub!! Will Veber's masterpiece, capturing the essence of what makes Herky great, and different from other sports boards and lists. . .
- Recruiting at Iowa Tom Kirkendall's great 4-part series on the joy and agony of trying to convince young athletes to hang their cleats in Iowa City. . .
- Herky in the Gazette The Sunday, December 22, 1996 edition of the Cedar Rapids Gazette featured these articles about Herky.
- The Dark Days... Tom Kirkendall's reminiscence on the bleak days of Hawkeye football in the 60's and 70's. . .
- Better times... much better: BigT recalls, with great pleasure, the Hawkeye's victory over Washington in the 1995 Sun Bowl. . .
- Herky Humor . . .about Texas Tech's Byron Hanspard, and more. . .
- Former Iowa Congressman Jim Leach, of Iowa City, delivered a tribute to former
Hawkeye wrestling coach Dan Gable, on the floor of the US House of
Representatives, 10/26/99. Read the Adobe PDF page from the Congressional Record.
More Hawkeye Information!
For more information about Hawkeye sports and the University of Iowa, check out these links:
- hawkeyesports.com The official Web site for Hawkeye sports information. The latest news, rosters, depth charts, game notes, Hawkeye sovenirs, and more! Updated daily (or more frequently if there's breaking
- HawkeyeFootball.com The direct link to the official Hawkeye Football home page.
- The Daily Iowan The UI's campus newspaper. Also features pre- and post-game summaries.
- KGAN-TV, Cedar Rapids
- WMT radio, Cedar Rapids. Eastern Iowa news, sports, and talk. . .
- KCRG TV and Radio, Cedar Rapids. Even more Hawk news and info.
- KCCI-TV, Des Moines. Iowa's News (and Sports) Leader.
- Des Moines Register sports.
- The Iowa City Press-Citizen.
- Hawk Central, the Press-Citizen's direct link to Hawkeye sports.
- Not exactly a media link, but if you're checking the weather, you might also want to look at the road construction reports from the Iowa
Department of Transportation.
- WHO Radio, Des Moines. WHO Radio 1040 offers sports news and more, with the legendary Jim Zabel.
- Get the latest football info from the NCAA. You can download the regulations for this season's bowl games. If you understand them, please e-mail us.
- Stats for most other major sports, for the Big 10, or any Division 1-A, 1-AA, II, or III conference directly from the
- USA Today's Hawkeye football page
- The University of Iowa home page.
Learn more about the Big 10's Number One university, with links to all of the
- The Hawkeye Marching Band is now online!
- The HMB's "Sounds" page features the Iowa Fight Song, "On Iowa", and the "Alma Mater.
- The UI Alumni Association's
"Alumni Memories" page includes those tunes, "In Heaven There Is No Beer", and the HMB version of "Eleanor Rigby"...
- Cambus The University's free campus bus system. Parking's the pits around Kinnick Stadium--the bus is a good alternative. Find schedules and route descriptions here.
- The Big 10 Conference home page. Schedules, stats, rosters, and more for all Big 10 member schools.
- Sagarin ratings One measure of the way teams stack up against each other.
- "Title IX" is the much-discussed Federal regulation
concerning gender equity in college programs, including sports. For your convenience, we offer the section relating to sports in text or Adobe PDF formats. . .
- Get the Acrobat Reader from Adobe
for the PDF version. . .
- The State of Iowa home page.
- Yahoo's Iowa listings
Herky Member Pages--and more!!
Hawkeye Windows Graphics--- Use your browser's "Save" command to save these files to disk.
Back to Alan and Sharon's home page
Last revised 21-Sep-2009